Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sonnets


This week’s selection is two pieces of poetry. These are Sam’s first two attempts at writing sonnets, ever. Sonnets are classically about love, and Sam keeps this spirit alive with the focus of these two poems. However, romantic love seems over-publicized. Sam’s love poems attempt to search deeper than the realm of romance. These sonnets were recently published in a very small, humble, local art & literary magazine called Articulate.


Sonnet 1 (or Miscarriage)

It swirls and clots flush down as she spins out

Now shakes, the violent loss of flesh from flesh

A ghost in cave—where once inside: hideout—

Rejected was that egg from haven’s nest.



A push then pull, teeth tighten to my neck

As somber sobbing breaks to bitter wails

She under burden quakes, this spirit wrecked.

Now push ship out and watch the burning sails.



In darkness, hollow heart and hollow womb

As it drifts off, life gone before life known,

Our hope with candled vigil we inhume.

I drown in passion hers, soaked to the bone

            But is it from my wrath her woe is wrung?

            Am I the father-bear who kills his young?



Sonnet 2 (or Custodial Lament)

Would have you die than live that doomèd fate

Would gouge my eyes than watch your tragedy

Of growing up too young, for it’s too late

To stop the wicked play: calamity.



I’ll rip the very heart out of my chest

When mother-dearest’s breast denies your breath.

Oh little hearts that fell down from my nest

You’re singing all the songs that call up death.



Yet now you go to dance with her a while

I’ll wait for seven sleepless nights to turn

The steps you learn will keep you in her, vile

You’ll let her lead until she lets you burn.

            And then I’ll beat my beatless breast and scream

            To rage at gods for children’s torching dreams.

1 comment:

  1. As it is with poetry, not only do messages tend to be incredibly ambiguous but also a lot of conversation can spark from only a few lines. Sam hopes this blog will also become a haven of conversation, not just a place to showcase work.

    ReplyDelete